TO GIVE HOPE AND HELP: Garments of Praise was founded to help alleviate poverty and hopelessness and to restore dignity through job skills training and education, and to support the teaching and preaching of God’s word to the “downtrodden” in Kenya, Africa.
We work with and support established biblical ministries in Kenya to aid:
- Vulnerable Ethiopian refugee women living in the slums of Nairobi, who live in desperate circumstances and because of the lack of job skills are often forced into sex trades in order to survive;
- Young widows with children in rural areas, who face similar hardships without schooling or job training (one mother had her child die in her arms because she lacked the few dollars for the medicine that would have saved her child);
- Disadvantaged children, who because of poverty are unable to attend school. Some even though only children themselves, because of HIV/AIDS, are heads of their household and struggle to find food for their siblings;
- Rural teens who are orphaned or have been forced from the family home and left to survive on their own because there is not enough food for them and younger siblings. Without an education or job skills training, their future is dark and they often turn to stealing, drugs, alcohol and an early death. These teens fall victim to the highest suicide rate, by hanging, in the 14 to 18 year old age group in Kenya;
- Churches, who minister God’s word and hope to these “forgotten”, by working to encourage and empower them through education and working side by side with them.
“To establish communities of HOPE in Africa by partnering with existing ministries to provide job skills training, education and the teaching and preaching of the Word of God”.
Challenged by Isaiah 61:1-3 (NKJV) it became our desire to provide HOPE by bringing Help to the helpless, giving the Oil of joy to those who mourn, Preaching the gospel to the poor, and Exchanging the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, with the ultimate goal that God may be glorified.
Power of Prayer
Garments of Praise was brought into being through prayer, guided step by step through prayer and the strength to accomplish the work comes through prayer. “The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayer-less work, and prayer-less religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.” -Samuel Chadwick
Fully agreeing with Samuel Chadwick, we and our partners in Africa covet your prayers for this work. “Yet regard the prayer of Your servant and his supplication, O Lord my God, and listen to the cry and the prayer which Your servant is praying before You today…” -1 Kings 8:28
Our desire is to share this ministry with God’s people to the end that they will have an opportunity to show the love of God according to His word. “This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love in words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” -1 John 3:16-18